Book Review | The DUFF by Kody Keplinger


Title: The DUFF

Author: Kody Keplinger

Series: ---

Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Chick Lit

Publication & Year: Poppy • 2010

Page Number: 224

Synopsis From Goodreads:
"Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face. 
But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone."

My Rating★★★★★

Quote I Like:
"You are the first girl who has ever seen right through me. You're the only girl who has ever called me on my bullshit. You put me in my place, but, at the same time, you understand me better than anyone ever has. You are the only person brave enough to criticize me. Maybe the only person who looks close enough to find my faults -- and, clearly, you've found many." - Wesley

My Thoughts:
Such a great read! Love the relationship between Bianca and Wesley and how it grew over the course of the story. I enjoyed the sarcastic comments from Bianca and how she acted towards Wesley in public. One would never think they had a fling. The worse part was the issue within her family, but I loved how it all eventually got "squared" away. I love the character development of Bianca, Wesley and Bianca's parents. This novel definitely was a great one and since I read the eBook, I definitely need a physical copy...it was just that good!

- Spoiler Alert -
First off, the way Bianca threw that Cherry Coke at Wesley like it was nothing at the Nest was absolutely hilarious, but by all means he deserved it to the max. How dare he call her the Duff. That was so insensitive and jerkish of him. Wesley definitely started off as an asshole in my mind. He had no shame in trying to be "nice" to Bianca just to sleep with either Casey or Jessica. Such a douchbag!

What shocked me the most -- when Bianca initiated their "relationship" by kissing him and furthering it by going along with having sex! Wow -- that shocked me the most. For someone to hate a guy so much, she definitely was fond of his bedroom skills.

I personally think using him as a distraction was a lose-win for her in the long run seeing as her issues at home only got worse, but in the end she got her man.

The most romantic and sweetest part of the entire book had to be one of two scenes: 1) when Wesley punched Mr. Piper for hitting Bianca and took her home with him instead of leaving her there to endure more blows and 2) when he sent the flowers (and gifts) to her house with a heartfelt letter. Definitely made me smile and think much more highly of Wesley.

I love how their relationship grew and in the end they both started over and decided to take things slow. Perfect ending to a book!

Sidenote: Toby is such a damn gentleman! He was sweet enough to see the chemistry between Bianca and Wesley and gave her the advice to go to him despite her "issue" with the idea of them (Wesley and her) being an item. Such a sweet guy he is!

This was such a great novel. Definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good laugh! You definitely would love this novel for sure -- the comedy, the sadness, the physical contact -- it all is one great read!

Have you read this novel? What are your thoughts?