Book Review | The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Author: Michelle Hodkin

Series: Mara Dyer, #2

Genres: Paranormal Romance, Supernatural

Publication/Year: Simon & Schuster Books • 2012 

Page Numbers: 544

Synopsis from Goodreads:
"Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.
She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.
They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.
She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?"
My Rating★★★★★

Quote(s) I Like:
"...rape is about power, not sex. It's about using force or the threat of it t take control over another person." - Dr. Kells

"You're stronger that you believe. Don't let your fear own you. Own yourself." - Noah

My Thoughts:
OMG ... I loved this book, not as much as the first one, but I definitely did enjoy it. This book didn't have as much suspense or mystery as the first book had -- which I'm guessing is because I was so familiar with how Mara was that nothing really shocked me. Nonetheless, every now and then I did have questions arising at some parts of the book which had me on the edge of my bed.

I loved how Mara ended back in a psych facility, but I hate that her mother admitted her without her consent. How freaking rude! The situation with her father ... I was happy he was feeling much better thanks to Noah's good and loving heart. Daniel is a freaking amazing big brother, Noah is the best boyfriend on earth (somethings he says to Mara remind me of things my fiance has said to me) and Jude ... I have no words.

The ending of this book was cray-cray. I mean finding out that Mara was not really "crazy" and that the HORIZON was more than it seemed was crazy. However, Jude should go to hell and Noah...he just can't be. Not with his ability.


- Spoiler Alert -
Mara wakes up in a psych hospital after ranting at the police station about killing the dog's owner and her teacher and then seeing Jude. She definitely sounded crazy so her mother admitted her. I do not think her mother should have admitted her into the psych hospital without fully talking to her. That was so not cool, but I guess as a soon-to-be parent I can understand the concern.

The sleepwalking and talking in her dreams -- creepy!

The birthday scenes for Mara was absolutely adorable. It blew my mind for sure. So romantic and when they finally kissed -- about 15+ chapters in -- I cried because it FINALLY took place after months of them dating.

These memories she's having -- are they from her grandmother? What does that pendent really mean since Mara and Noah each have one? What was written on that paper inside the doll?

Noah is such a handsome guy. He definitely is the epitome of the "perfect" boyfriend for any girl. I must say -- the relation between his mother and Mara's grandmother is freaky a bit. But the ending with him dying -- so not cool. He just can't be dead what so ever.

Phoebe is bazaar, but what makes it worse is that Jude is her boyfriend. Jude is deranged beyond words thinking Mara can bring his sister (Claire) back because Dr. Kells says so. First off, torturing her or anybody usually leads to something going wrong and second off, Dr. Kells. Like really, using all of these kids as part of a study. What kind of mess is that. Makes me wonder about all these psych facilities now.

So in the end we have the following:
- Mara can kill
- Noah can heal
- Jude can revive himself when someone dies around him (whatttt).
- Stella can hear thoughts/ read minds

What can Joseph and Jamie do? Do they really have abilities?

My only questions I have that I pray will be answered in the final book come June:
1) Is Noah really dead?
2) Will Mara be allowed back into society?
3) What about this Lukemi guy .. will he show up again?
4) Does Mara also have the ability to bring people back to life?

Overall Conclusion:
So looking forward to the final book in this trilogy to be released in June. Being that June is my bday month I will be asking my fiance to buy this book and the whole series in Hardcover for me. As much as I love eBooks on my Tablet and Nook --- this is worthy of purchasing a physical copy.

I'm just saying -- kudos to Michelle Hodkin and her outstanding writing and story!


Have you read this book?