Book Review | Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Shatter Me

Author: Tahereh Mafi

Series: Shatter Me, #1

Genres: Dystopian, Paranormal Romance

Publication/Year: Allen & Unwin • 2011

Page Numbers: 338 (Paperback)

Synopsis from Goodreads:
"Juliette must make a choice. Be a weapon. Or a warrior. Combining a crumbling dystopian world with a compelling heroine who has inexplicable powers, Shatter Me is a mesmerising thriller.

'You can't touch me,' I whisper.
I'm lying, is what I don't tell him.
He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him.
Please touch me, is what I want to tell him.
But things happen when people touch me.
Strange things. Bad things. DEAD THINGS.
No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.
But Juliette has plans of her own.
After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time - and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever."
My Rating★★★★★

Quote(s) I Like:
"All I ever wanted was to reach out and touch another human being not just with my hands but with my heart." - Juliette

"My heart is a water balloon exploding in my chest. My lungs are swinging from my rib cage. I feel as though every fist in the world has decided to punch me in the stomach." - Juliette

"Hope is a pocket of possibility" - Juliette

My Thoughts:
I see why this book was raved about on booktube. It's absolutely captivating. At first I hate Juliette's woe as me outtake...I just don't like characters who have too much self pitty, but she eventually grew on me with her saracasm at times. Adam definitely is my fav and I can't stand Warner. Warner is an ass by all means. He's heartless, ruthless and evil. Adam is definitely a nice guy who seems to know what he wants out of the world they live in. The fact that he looked for Juliette for ten years and loved her was so romantic and sweet. Kenji is freaking funny. I love that even in tough situations he tries to make the best of it. Their ages are also cool: Juliette - 17 years old. Adam - 18 years old. Warner - 19 years old. Kenji - 20 years old

- Spoiler Alert -
Juliette being locked away for years is crazy. The fact that her own parents turned their backs on her is sad. I feel horrible that she has the ability to touch people and kill them, but her parents should have stood by her regardless and kept finding a way a to help her. Not lock her up in an asylum and giving her to the Reestablishment.

I love that Adam feel in love with Juliette 10 years ago when they were younger and went to look for her to take her away from everything. That definitely is romantic! The timing in which he revealed his true feelings and motives was absolutely perfect!

Warner...a damn douche bag! He shot that man straight in the head for stealing, like really? He could have at least tortured him and let him go. Not kill him like that. He such a ruthless guy, I seriously don't like him. Warner wanting to use Juliette as a weapon is even worse. He so disgust me.

Kenji is funny as hell. He always tries to make the best of a horrible situation. Especially when he arrived at Adam's house unannounced and cracked jokes about Juliette. 

Finding out that there were more people like Juliette was extremely awesome. Omega Point just seems like an underground version of X-men. I love that!

Overall Conclusion:
The ending was fantastic -- they arrive at Omega Point where she finds that there are others like her with abilities. So amazing!

This book had me from start to finish.


Have you read this book?