Book Review | The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Author: Michelle Hodkin

Series: Mara Dyer, #1

Genres: Paranormal (Romance), Supernatural, Mystery

Publication/Year: Simon & Schuster Books • 2011

Page Numbers: 464

Synopsis from Goodreads:
"Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong."
My Rating★★★★★

Quote(s) I Like:
"Don't. Don't ask me why. It's annoying. I want to. That's it. That's all. So let me." - Noah

"You're supposed to say 'All I want is your happiness. I'll do whatever it takes, even if it means being without you.'" Mara said. "Sorry" Noah said, "I'm just not that big of a person."

My Thoughts:
Okay all I can say is that this book is outstanding!!!!!!!!! I can now see the hype on BookTube and blogs -- absolutely mind [fucking] blowing (excuse my french). This book started out creepy because her hallucinations had me confused and a bit shaky, but the more I read on and learned about her the more I realized how excellent this is.

First off, Mara Dyer is a badass chick. She started off a bit shy, quit and demented due to the accident, deaths and over protective mother, but with the help of her big brother Daniel and the ever so amazing Noah, she blossomed. 

Noah is a hunk for sure -- Smooth, quite, doesn't quite care for much of anything, but he'll go above and beyond for Mara. 

The idea of them being life and death is super romantic, but freaky. She kills and he heals...seems sick, but it has such a romantic feel.

Okay all I am going to say about the ending is what the hell! Why is Jude still alive?! What is going to happen next. My mind is blown.


- Spoiler Alert -
Hallucinations? Death? I must say, that first chapter definitely rattled my nerves and had me freaked out, but I continued on. Mara definitely seems insane, but from what she experienced with her best friend dying I'd expect that I guess. Her family is seems super cool -- well minus her over protective mother. Daniel is an awesome big brother that will dish out advice, hang out with you, make you laugh and help get you out of trouble. Joseph is the over zealous baby brother with a big mind. Her dad is the workaholic that never forgets his love for his family and loves his baby girl.

Noah Shaw is definitely sounded a bit off at first, but the more I learned about his character, the hotter he got to me. Jamie is super funny; definitely that one friend you need to help you through rough times in high school.

Anna and Aidan are major assholes. Anna needs to get over herself and move on from Noah, she only makes herself look bad. Noah's remarks to her seem cruel at first, but she deserves them. Aidan ... he was completely useless. I hate that they set up Jamie to be expelled. Such asses!

Finding out that Noah can heal was pretty cool which would explain his feelings for Mara, but also finding out that he has visions of certain people getting hurt was even cooler. Like when he went help Mara find her baby brother Joseph after being kidnapped -- that was pretty cool.

The court scene was crazy! Did Mara really possess or plant the thought in that woman's mind to shot in the courtroom? 

Jude is still alive? What the hell? Does he have an ability too? Why did he kidnap Joseph?

Overall Conclusion:
Moving on to The Evolution of Mara Dyer ... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK!

Have you read this book?