Book Review | Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Title: Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Author: Laini Taylor

Series: Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1

Genres: Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Supernatural

Publication/Year: Little Brown Books • 2011

Page Numbers: 391

Synopsis from Goodreads:
"Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?"
My Rating★★★★★

Quote(s) I Like:
"Only death remains. One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly." - Izil

"I hope child, but I don't wish. There's a difference. Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic." - Brimstone

"Hey! My body may be small, but my soul is large. It's why I wear platforms. So I can reach the top of my soul. And also for kissing because otherwise I could only date midgets." - Zuzana

"I exist only because of war -- a war that began a thousand years ago with a massacre of my people..." - Akiva

"I want you to know...I need you to know that I was drawn to you -- to you, Karou -- before the wishbone. Before I knew, and I think...I think I would always find you, no matter how you were hidden. Your soul sings to mine. My soul is yours, and it always will be, in any world. No matter what happens -- I need you to remember that I love you." - Akiva

My Thoughts:
A new favorite for me! 

This book wowed me from start to finish. Finding out about Karou's life and why Brimstone was the way he was with her explained so much. He saved her for a purpose defying his "commander" Thiago. Karou's past life as Madrigal, a chimera, simply wowed me. The loving bond she has with Akiva was a surprise because at the beginning he wanted to kill her for working for Brimstone. His devotion to her despite what he didn't know and then finding out the truth about Karou and why he feels so strongly of her is just outstanding. Such a true love.

Brimstone's existence throughout the book was very powerful. Just a like a father to Karou guarding her from pain, hurt and loss. He protected her at all cost and even gave her a way to remember if something was to happen to him.

The ending, when Akiva confessed tore me to pieces. I literally just cried reading the final few chapters. Karou and the crazy fallen angel Razgut going through the portal to the Eretz was exciting and definitely has me excited to continue on with the series.

Overall Conclusion:
This book is my first fantasy read and I must say I am highly impressed with it and I hope the series continues to grab my attention!

Have you read this book?