Book Review | Champion by Marie Lu

Title: Champion 

Author: Marie Lu

Series: Legend #3

Genres: Dystopian, Romance, Sci-Fi

Publication/Year: Putnam's Son • 2013

Page Numbers: 274

Format: eBook

Synopsis from Goodreads: 
He is a Legend.

She is a Prodigy.

Who will be Champion? 

June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps-Elect, while Day has been assigned a high-level military position. 

But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them: just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything. 

With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.
My Rating: ★★★★★

Quote(s) I Like:
"I chose a pretty generic tattoo tonight, because I'm not loyal enough to the Republic to stamp that loyalty right on my face. Leave that to June. Instead, I have stylized flames. Good enough." - Day

"What's the point of keeping in touch with the girl you're crazy about, when you're dying?" - Day

"Hey--with your metal leg and half a brain, and my four leftover senses, we almost make a whole person." - Eden

"Day--no bull this time. Got it, pretty boy? If you suddenly think you wanna go rogue, you sure as hell better tell me first. Then at least I'll have time to sock you in the face." - Pascao

"I envy Day, you know. I'm jealous tht he gets to make decisions with his heart. Every choice he makes is honest, and the people love him for it. He can afford to use his heart." - Anden

My Thoughts:
I cannot believe I waited so long to read this trilogy full of sparks, flames and fireworks. Marie Lu has created an outstanding world with unbelievable characters you grow to love and some to hate. This was definitely some conclusion if you ask me. A bittersweet ending to a bittersweet trilogy.

In this final book of the trilogy, we follow Day as he is getting treated but he finds out he only has about two months max to live. On the other hand, we have June who is asked to use Day's weakness against him - his love for her - to get his brother Eden for a cure. Apparently a virus broke out in the colonies and without a cure they plan to go to war with the Republic. Such craziness!

As the story goes on we find that Thomas, Commander Jameson and a few others were supposed to be executed, but upon an attack they escaped. How'd they escape? Let's just say loyalty to the Republic is very low. Eventually Day agrees to let Eden be tested to find a cure, but the truth about the virus and the cure comes out and we find that what takes place in Prodigy is key to how the virus was created...such mystery.

I enjoyed Eden this time around because he had more parts and he stood up to his brother to help the Republic. Day, despite being in his condition, still stood up to fight and help the people of the Republic which is courageous. June just wowed me as she no longer wanted to be a princep-elect, but a soldier again. Tess was sweet and kind. Thomas just blew my mind from how we still helped the Republic and the truth behind Metais' death. Just amazing!

The ending had me in tears with how June walked away to protect Day. As she walked away Day was sent to Antarctic for help and I'm guessing he got it because ten years letter he returns to the Republic, still with little memory, but he finds his way to June and they start anew.

Priceless. Loving. Bittersweet. Exciting.

I truly enjoyed this trilogy and hope to enjoy her next one: The Young Elites.

Have you read this book?