Book Review | Shadows of Asphodel

Title: Shadows of Asphodel

Author: Karen Kincy

Series: Shadows of Asphodel #1 (click here for review of book #2)

Genres: New Adult, Steampunk, Paranormal Romance

Publication Date: September 13th, 2013

Page Numbers: 350

Format: Paperback, E-Book

Source: given to me by the author in exchange of an honest review.

Purchase: Amazon 

Synopsis from Goodreads: 
When Ardis discovers a man bleeding to death on the battlefield, she knows she has to walk away.

1913. In her work as a mercenary for Austria-Hungary, Ardis has killed many men without hesitation. One more man shouldn’t matter, even if he manages to be a charming bastard while he stands dying in the snow. 

But when he raises the dead to fight for him, she realizes she must save his life.

If a necromancer like Wendel dies, he will return as a monster—or so the rumors say. Ardis decides to play it safe and rescues him. What she doesn’t expect is Wendel falling to one knee and swearing fealty. Ardis never asked for the undying loyalty of a necromancer, but it’s too late now.

Ardis and Wendel forge an uneasy alliance underscored with sexual tension. Together, they confront rebels, assassins, and a conspiracy involving a military secret: robotically-enhanced soldiers for a world on the brink of war. But as Ardis starts to fall for Wendel, she realizes the scars from his past run more deeply than she ever imagined. Can Ardis stop Wendel before his thirst for revenge destroys him and everyone else around him?

(Dieselpunk romance. Because steampunk wasn't dirty enough.)
My Rating: ★★★★★

Quote(s) I Like:
"I wont lie, when I first discovered my talent for raising the dead, I was ... unhappy. But I learned to appreciate it. There's a certain repulsive elegance about the magic. With it, I can recover memories long lost. I can speak to the dead who left this world days, weeks, even centuries ago. If I'm an abomination, I might as well enjoy it." - Wendel

"He was just the wrong kind of drunk. Too drunk to keep his hands to himself and too sober not to stay put in the tavern." - Ardis

"The truth of my life will die with me, as it does with us all. And my memories will fade as my bones grow old, and I will live on only in the memories of those who cared that I should not be forgotten." - Wendel

"But I read stories about necromancers, over the centuries, who cheated death. An Egyptian here, a Russian there. Nearly all the necromancers died and stayed dead, though, because they never understood the secret. Someone had to love them enough to bring them back." - Wendel

My Thoughts:
Simply amazing!

Review coming soon!Shadows of Asphodel is a miraculous new adult dieselpunk novel! I was completely shocked by how this book went. Karen Kincy created such amazing characters that never faltered or left me bored. I was intrigued with every character from beginning to end. Karen knew exactly how much drama, twists, sex and romance to add so that it not only balanced out, but kept the reader wanting more every turn of the page.

This novel, although told from one POV, follows two seemingly different characters: Ardis and Wendel.

Ardis is mercenary working for the archmages. She's an American girl that ran away from home due to an incident that took place. As a mercenary she kills and does other tasks that the archmage pay her for. During one mission she finds a young man bleeding and dying. This young man is more than the eye can see with his secrets. When he reveals his secret at a failed attempt to kill Ardis she wants to take him for ransom. As the story progresses she learns more about the young man and her disgust turns into something more.

Wendel is a young necromancer with a past that could kill the basic human. His lineage is grand, but due to his curse he is disinherited and alone. He works for the Order -- or at least he did. His only thought is revenge. He sets out on a journey to kill the Order, but along the way he falls in love with a young lady that saved his life on multiple accounts. In her he finds true love, but also finds something else that could change their relationship.

The romance between Ardis and Wendel was steamy, but not over the top. I love how perverted Wendel was when Ardis tried to be serious. I love how Ardis was first disgusted by him, but grew to love him. The way Wendel opened up was so sweet and made everything so bittersweet.

That plot twist with the Grandmaster was insane! Finding out who he was and what he did was beyond crazy. It definitely had me on my toes.

That ending with Wendel and discovering the secret to the necromancers death was unbelievably mind blowing!

My final words: complete and utter perfection!

Excited to see what happens next for Wendel and Ardis in Storms of Lazarus!


Have you read this book?