Book Review | Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire

Title: Beautiful Oblivion

Author: Jamie McGuire

Series: The Maddox Brothers, #1

Age: New Adult

Genres: Contemporary Romance

Publication Date: July 1st 2014

Publisher: Atria Books

Source: Paperback

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | iTunes

Synopsis: 
Fiercely independent Camille "Cami" Camlin gladly moved on from her childhood before it was over. She has held down a job since before she could drive, and moved into her own apartment after her freshman year of college. Now tending bar at The Red Door, Cami doesn’t have time for much else besides work and classes, until a trip to see her boyfriend is cancelled, leaving her with a first weekend off in almost a year.

Trenton Maddox was the king of Eastern State University, dating co-eds before he even graduated high school. His friends wanted to be him, and women wanted to tame him, but after a tragic accident turned his world upside down, Trenton leaves campus to come to grips with the crushing guilt.

Eighteen months later, Trenton is living at home with his widower father, and works full-time at a local tattoo parlor to help with the bills. Just when he thinks his life is returning to normal, he notices Cami sitting alone at a table at The Red.

As the baby sister of four rowdy brothers, Cami believes she’ll have no problem keeping her new friendship with Trenton Maddox strictly platonic. But when a Maddox boy falls in love, he loves forever—even if she is the only reason their already broken family could fall apart.

My Rating: 

Quotes I Like

"Coby! Sit your ass down! I said it wasn't him, and I meant it! Now everybody calm the fuck down! I've had a bad day, I'm here to drink and relax, and have a good goddamn time! Now if that's a problem for you, back the fuck off the my table!" - Cami

"You don't eat? ... K, then. You plan to eat. I plan to eat. Let's eat." - Trenton

"Cool. If anyone asks for me, always get their name and take a message. If' it's a girl by the name of Alisha, tell her to choke on a dick." - Hazel

"That works for you. I need to stab things. That's what brings me peace." - Hazel

"I don't want those flowers. I do, however, want you. You're not the one I'm stuck with because I didn't get my first choice. If you think you're  in love with two people, you pick the second one, right? Because if I really loved T.J., I couldn't have fallen in love with you." - Cami

My Thoughts

This was a very enjoyable read, but I seriously was confused about the secret between T.J. and Cami.

Cami was a fearsome girl. She tried to work out her long distance failing relationship with her boyfriend TJ. I respect her for trying even though he warned her it would be hard. I love how she even convinced herself she couldn't be with another guy because of her love for him. Her spunky attitude with Trenton was absolutely amazing. She kept me laughing. I didn't like her family at all. Her dad was seriously insane and needs help, her brothers are douchebags and her mom was just in total denial. I loved that she stood up for herself against her family and did what she had to for herself.

T.J was a dick. His idea of a long distance relationship with Cami was simply insane. Hardly being able to call her, canceling trips to see her and being secretive is not a relationship. He loved his job more than he loved her and then told her that she wasn't really a priority. In my eyes, he was completely selfish, but the ending and what he did really made me like him.

Trenton was the ideal sweet bad guy. I loved his relationship with Olive. He cared for her and didn't allow his reputation to stand in his way of his role to her. I loved how he was fixated on Cami, but went about it in a way that sweet and close to the border. He knew she was taken and that she wanted to be friends, but he also was in love with her. I enjoyed seeing him break her down to get into her head and heart. There were few parts where I did want to jump through the book to slap him senseless, but overall he was an absolutely amazing character.

I enjoyed all the other secondary characters such as Reagan, Kody, Brazil, Travis, Chase, Cody, Clark and so forth. They all made this a very great story.

AS for this secret, I am still confused as to who TJ was to Trenton and why the secret was so important? Totally confused.

Overall, this was a pretty great read and I will definitely read another Jamie McGurie book.

Have you read this book?