Book Review | A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #1

Age: New Adult

Genres: Fantasy, Paranormal Romance

Publication Date: May 5th, 2015

Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing

Source: Ebook

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | iBooks | Kobo

Synopsis: 
When 19-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow over the faerie lands is growing, and Feyre must find a way to stop it ... or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

My Rating: 

Quotes I Like

"Whatever you do, don't marry Tomas Mandray. His father beats his wife, and none of his sons do anything to stop it. Bruises are harder to conceal than poverty." - Feyre

"Stay with the High Lord, human. That's all you can do. You will be safe. Do not interfere, do not go looking for answers after today, or you will be devoured by the shadow over Prythian. He will shield you from it, so stay close to him, and all will be righted." - The Suriel

"Because I wouldn't want to die alone. Because I'd want someone to hold my hand until the end, and awhile after that. That's something everyone deserves, human or faerie. I regret what I did to Andras. I regret that there was such hate in my heart. I wish I could undo it -- and I'm sorry." - Feyre

"I searched for you, and you weren't there. You drove me mad. I searched for you and you weren't there. When I didn't find you, it made me pick another. She asked me not to be gentle with her, either. I would have been gentle with you, though. I would have had you moaning my name throughout it all. And I would have taken a very,very long time, Feyre." - Tamlin

My Thoughts

Sarah J. Maas has created a beautiful beginning to her new series. This is very different from the action packed Throne of Glass and I sort of liked it. This gets a 4.5 star rating simply because there was not enough action for me. For her second series in the works, this is the perfect runner up after Throne of Glass.

The protagonist Feyre lives with her dad and two eldest sisters, but she works hard to provide food and money for her family. She kills a wolf who happened to be a fairy and must go to Prythian with Tamlin as punishment for breaking the Treaty between human and fairies and killing his friend. Feyre has a strong dislike towards fairies because of how they treated humans. When she is at the estate she learns much about herself, the fairies and love. Her character was very astonishing because she had no magical powers. She was magically weak but she was strong in every other sense. I enjoyed watching her enjoy life because she spent most of her time taking care of her family and not herself. Her determination to do right by everyone was very admirable.

Tamlin was such a sweet guy. I loved his strong nature in everything. How he easily switched back and forth from being distant to being close. He did so much for Feyre that would not have been done by other fairies, let alone a High Lord fae. I enjoyed learning about him and his upbringing and how he became the man he is. He was very thoughtful, caring and loving towards Feyre instead being a brute.

The romance between Feyre and Tamlin was absolutely amazing. I enjoyed the twist in the story that made the romance ten times better. I liked how Tamlin tried to keep himself restrained around Feyre. I loved how they gradually went from disliking one another to wanting forever together. The romance was paced very well in this story and the intimate scenes were worth it.

Lucien was hilarious in every way possible. From the beginning to the very end I enjoyed his character. Witty remarks, dislike towards Feyre and down right rudeness at times was perfect for his character.

Rhysand is the opposite of Lucien however I still enjoyed his character. He was rude, ruthless, evil, conceited and a jerk, but it worked for him. I liked how he helped Feyre in disguise to take down Amarantha. I'm interested in reading more of him in the next book.

Amarantha...she is an evil, scorned woman. I can't believe she did everything to get Tamlin to herself. I mean if that isn't psychotic I don't know what is. I literally couldn't stand her, but her downfall was perfect. Especially at the hands of someone she loved.

Sarah J. Maas through a monkey wrench in this story for a hell of a plot twist. I mean, I was blown away by the meaning of everything with Feyre being on Tamlin's estate. I mean I never thought that would happen. This is a very great start and that ending for Feyre has some potential for an amazing series.

Have you read this book?