Book Review | The Heir by Kiera Cass

Title: The Heir

Author: Kiera Cass

Series: The Selection #4

Age: Young Adult

Genres: Dystopian, Romance

Publication Date: May 5th, 2015

Publisher: HarperTeen

Source: E-Book

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | iTunes

Synopsis: 
Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won Prince Maxon’s heart. Now the time has come for Princess Eadlyn to hold a Selection of her own. Eadlyn doesn’t expect her Selection to be anything like her parents’ fairy-tale love story. But as the competition begins, she may discover that finding her own happily ever after isn’t as impossible as she always thought. 

My Rating: 

Quotes I Like

"I was Eadlyn Schreave. No one was more powerful than me." - Eadlyn

 “I only have one heart, and I’m saving it.” - Eadlyn

When we met, you couldn’t stop staring at my breasts. Make sure you get an equally satisfactory look at my backside as you leave.” - Eadlyn

The whole letter Ahren wrote to Eadlyn after he left to France.

My Thoughts

Kiera Cass you cannot kill off my favorite character in this series -- you just can't lol!

The Heir was an absolutely beautiful continuation to The Selection. It follows the beautiful, strong minded, determined Eadlyn, daughter of Maxon and America. She is the first born between her brother Ahren and herself and instead of just being the princess her parents decided to not just skip over her as heir because she's a female. She is to be queen and has been trained to be such. In the time of turmoil after Maxon and America remove the caste system people are rioting and causing havoc. To ease their minds they think that Eadlyn should host the first ever Female Selection. Eadlyn hates the idea, but goes along to keep the people at bay.

Eadlyn was such an intricate character. “I was Eadlyn Schreave. No one was more powerful than me.” She wasn't as indecisive as her mother was throughout the first three books. Eadlyn is the exact opposite. She is determined to make sure that the Selected don't like her because she doesn't want a man to rule by her side. She was bold, funny and made me love and hate her. Towards the end she realized she was actually enjoying the Selection a bit and when turmoil hits her family two-fold she begins to think it's worth finding a husband. “I only have one heart, and I’m saving it.” I am, however, curious to know why she is afraid to open up to people when no one else has that issue.

Ahren is picture perfect twin brother. I love the relationship he has with his sister. They are amazing together. I love the advice he gives her, the support and love he drowns her in. He definitely reminds me of his father. The ending killed me to pieces, but his letter in giving her an explanation made so much sense. I respected him much more for following his heart and living for himself rather than his sister. The other 2 brothers are amazing as well. I love how they all came to her aid to defend her against Jack. Perfection!

Maxon and America are stunning parents and remind me of themselves in the first three books. Having four kids, they are still absolutely perfect pair.

Kile is freaking awesome! I love that even though Eadlyn and him grew up together they didn't really know each other and through the Selection they are learning each other very well. I love the kisses, the conversations and the bond growing between them. I hope Kile feels something for Eadlyn and decides to stick around. He has my vote!

Erik, Henri's translator, is freaking awesome. I wish he was a Selected because he and Eadlyn would be freaking perfect. I love that he respects her as a person AND the future queen. He has such a way with being comfortable with her and making her feel special without even trying. He has some points from me for sure!

The Selected are all very interesting. The first elimination Eadlyn did made me crack up! She eliminated 12 guys for various reasons but my favorite was the one she let go because he paid more attention to her breasts then her, “When we met, you couldn’t stop staring at my breasts. Make sure you get an equally satisfactory look at my backside as you leave.” As for Jack and the other guy Braden (I believe) they are truly crazy. I am enjoying this batch of men though as for the ones that are left in the palace.

I'm truly excited to read the next two books and see who Eadlyn picks as her husband. I'm voting for Kile, but I also love Erik even if he's not a selected.

Have you read this book?