Book Review | Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Onyx

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Series: Lux #2

Age: Young Adult

Genres: Sci-Fi, Paranormal Romance

Publication Date: August 14th, 2012

Publisher: Entangled Publishing

Source: Ebook

Purchase

Synopsis: 
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarre connection. I’ve sworn him off even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But against all common sense, I’m falling for him. Hard.

Our relationship issues aren’t out biggest problem…

The Department of Defense is here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we’re linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And when a new boy shows up a school with a secret of his own, things get complicated fast. I need to choose between my own instincts and Daemon’s.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. Daemon’s never going to stop searching until gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies.

My Rating: 

My Thoughts:
Okay so that was a total kickass sequel! I was so engrossed by the whole storyline. JLA is just freaking phenomenal in her writing and characters. From world-building to character development, she is awesome. This is a perfect YA mix of Fantasy and Sci-Fi.

So we start with Katy and Daemon playing the hard to get game. Daemon has recently confessed his feelings for Katy in Obsidian, but she doubts them due to the connection they have. Daemon was a total gentleman throughout this book. Of course he had his jerk-face moments, but overall he was loving, protective and thoughtful. Katy was amazing as well, despite not wanting to admit to her feelings and the connection she tried to be as normal as possible.

I enjoyed Katy especially after learning that she is a mutated human due to Daemon healing her. She has abilities like the Luxen but she can possibly be stronger. I enjoyed watching her grow into her abilities and fully accept them. Daemon and her being connected or rather "married" through the connection was profound, but learning that they are connected in the way that if one dies the other does is frightening.

Blake, the new character who is mutated like Katy and works for the DOD, was always a suspicious character from the start for me. I always had a feeling he was a bit off the same way Daemon did. Learning out his relation to the DOD and how his Luxen was being used against him was insane. I didn’t like how forceful he was in training Katy and how she always ended up with bruises. He was just too damn aggressive for my liking. I wish he would have died!

Bethany still being a live is a twist of events! Finding out the she is connected to Dawson and that he was still alive was even better. What I didn't like however was how "dead" they both looked. When his name came up she went super ninja and when Dawson was hugged by Daemon he was completely emotionless.

Dee is still a favorite character because despite how her life is she is always happy go lucky and I love it. I didn't like how it ended for her towards the end during the fight. I felt like crying for her because she was hurt by the way Katy acted but then came in to save her and in turn she was hurt and her boyfriend was killed. I hope she and Katy still remain friends.

Will is a dirt-bag in every sense. He ratted out his niece Bethany and Dawson to the DOD, implanted himself into Katy's mom life and then used Katy to get Daemon to mutate him all because he was sick with cancer. What kind of craziness! I hope he does mutate fully and I hope Daemon finds him and kills him.

DOD is full of crap. They are using Dawson and Chris to mutate humans for their own little army. They are working with the Arum to get humans mutated. I hated finding out about them using Katy as an experiment to get mutated. That's a very high low for them. All those attacks on humans were initiated by the DOD in efforts to make their army but they only hurt the people they wanted to save. The DOD is very mixy to me and I'm weary of their end game.

Everything was just so good about this book. I'm just curious to know who let Dawson free and how he managed to get home after looking like a corpse when Daemon hugged him. Now that the Luxen kryptonite is revealed, will it be used against them? Totally loving this series!

Have you read this book?