Book Review | Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray

Title: Lair of Dreams 

Author: Libba Bray

Series: The Diviners #2

Age: Young Adult

Genres: Historical Fiction, Paranormal

Publication Date: August 25th 2015

Publisher:  Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Source: Arc provided by NetGalley

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | iBooks | Kobo

Synopsis: 
After a supernatural showdown with a serial killer, Evie O'Neill has outed herself as a Diviner. Now that the world knows of her ability to "read" objects, and therefore, read the past, she has become a media darling, earning the title, "America's Sweetheart Seer." But not everyone is so accepting of the Diviners' abilities...

Meanwhile, mysterious deaths have been turning up in the city, victims of an unknown sleeping sickness. Can the Diviners descend into the dreamworld and catch a killer?

My Rating: 

My Thoughts:
OMG, after two months I have finally finished this book and as much as I loved The Diviners, I can only give this sequel a 3.5 star rating because it dragged and didn't have as much suspense and action as The Diviners.

Ling Chan is the newest Diviner of the bunch that we were originally introduced to. She lives in Chinatown where the sleeping sickness has started happen. She has the ability to dreamwalk. She is an interesting character...I enjoyed seeing that she had a use within the original group. Her character was timid yet bold.

Henry is crazy. He walks right into the claws of death to be with his lover boy Louis and realizes that he cannot deal with the truth of things. He learns how to use his ability, but also seems to have embraced his shadow self as well. I liked the parts when he got angry because it showed he wasn't feeble and weak.

Theta and Memphis are too adorable together. Memphis finally embraces his powers as a healer, but I'm interested to see how things go for his baby brother Isiah. Theta is a Phoenix or so according to Dr. Jung which would explain her ability, but now that her ex has found her what will happen now?

Evie and Sam are just my favs! I absolutely love them. What I didn't expect was for the two of them to actually fall for one another in the midst of publicity stunt. They are both "damaged" in a way, but they might possibly be the cutest thing ever. Sam may act big and bold, but he is just a scared guy in need of love and looking for his mother. Evie is scared out of wits of ghost ever since their encounter with Hobbes.

Jericho may be quiet and sweet, but he has a deep love for Evie. I'm not sure how I feel about Marlowe giving him a "proposition" of sorts, but I hope Jericho doesn't agree to it. Mable is actually annoying. I really don't like her, granted as the only non-diviner that's cool, but she is seriously annoying.

Miriam is alive and being held against her will to help capture the Diviners including her son. What the hell!!!! Who is it? Do they work with the King of Crows? Did this all start with John Hobbes? What secrets are out in the world they live in?

Wei Mai aka the lady with veil is just a distraught person. I cannot believe how she died...that is terrifying, and what happened to her is even worse. I still don't get why she had to go and send her evil minions into the world to kill people, but I'm glad they "defeated" her and laid her to rest.

Overall, this was an okay sequel. I'm interested to see how it plays out and how it all comes to an end for these characters in the next book.

Have you read this book?