Book Review | Acne, Asthma, and Other Signs You Might Be Half Dragon by Rena Rocford

Acne, Asthma, and Other Signs You Might Be Half DragonAcne, Asthma, and Other Signs You Might Be Half Dragon by Rena Rocford
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book for review.

Let me just say once again, Curiosity Quills Press does a phenomenal job when it comes to their book covers. Not only did the title intrigue -- I mean what's not to love about dragons, but the cover is absolutely stunning. I mean the girl, the makeup, the font and the scale details -- stunning.

As much as I wanted to really like this book, I just couldn't. It was not well developed, didn't have enough action and couldn't keep my attention long. Now, I totally enjoyed the whole Kin idea with having various supernatural beings like goblins, dragons, unicorns and trolls. There are not that many paranormal novels like that, but the characters and the plot weren't developed enough for me to swoon over it.

Allyson was a pretty interesting character. She has always been on the move, doesn't really know her father, can't spend time with her fraternal family and her mother is the CIA of secrets. Allyson always thought she was a regular girl with asthma and acne, but those were just signs of her becoming her true self -- a dragon. That first scene at the mall made me laugh so hard because she wasn't just being kidnapped, but she also had information thrown at her left and right. Allyson was bold and brave when she needed to be, but sometimes she just seemed so down and out.

Beth was seriously an awesome character! I loved her dramatic ways. Finding that she's half troll is downright awesome. I loved that she was awesome from start to finish. Steve didn't have much time in the book, but I mean a unicorn -- that was kick butt. Felix is gryphon and he was definitely the sweet, bad boy type. I think there is going to be love triangle between Allyson, Steve and Felix.

I think this book could have been better if there was more to learn about the dragons. Only thing that was revealed is David being a traitor. I wish there had been more mother-daughter drama. I wish Allyson's aunt would have spoke to her. I wish there had been more drama. The action was pretty good though.

Overall, it was a pretty good YA paranormal novel with awesome paranormal characters, but I don't think I'll re-read this again.

View all my reviews