Review: An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

An Ember in the Ashes An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

...SOOOOO MANY FEELS...

Words cannot even begin to explain how I feel right now!!!! This book was freaking amazing. I honestly didn't think I would like it, thought it was just an overhyped book -- but my word...I'm speechless. This is such a great mix of fantasy and sci-fi mixed together in a dystopian world. I'm hooked to the world, the characters and all that is to come in this series.

Laia seemed a bit too weak for me because she was constantly doubting herself and overthinking. However, she completely did a 360 towards the end. Laia is a brave young woman. She survived her time as the Commandments slave girl and never broke.

Elias has always been a favorite character from the start for me. He is brave, he is caring, he is strong and he understands how to live as humane as possible. Even though he is a Mask he still takes note to care for others because even though he is the son the Commandment he lived like the Scholars at one point and time. I enjoyed his connection to people and how different he was from everyone else.

Cain and the Augurs are freaking weird!! I mean do they even know what the hell they want. They seriously pissed me off at times, but I love how they already know what's going to happen for Elias and Laia. The fact that they all told them both they were an ember in the ashes is just the beginning to something great!

Helene is an amazing friend. Even though she is a Mask and she seems heartless at times I still like her. Growing up in the Empire it only makes sense that she is the way she is, but she also knows that things have to change. I'm happy that she got the position she wanted, but I hate who she has to serve now. It's rather frustrating and it sucks that she loves her best friend.

Commandment is an evil, ruthless, cold-hearted witch. I mean seriously her hatred towards her son and Scholars is creepy. I wonder if Elias dad was a Scholar. I almost cried at how heartless she was when she went to talk to him in his cell. The Nightbringer is creepy as hell. I mean the true definition of a lonely, depressed person for sure. The Resistance pissed me off because they are all double-sided and just don't stand for one belief anymore. Mazen needs to die -- that's all. Marcus is a sick bastard. He's probably worse than Commandment.

I can't wait to see what happens next!!! Does the Augurs really know the way things will end for Elias because they are being cryptic in the way they help and every time I think I know what they mean it's something TOTALLY different, yet remarkable.

I'm so in love with this book and just excited that it has set my new years to a phenomenal start!!!

View all my reviews