Book Review | Nirvana by J.R. Stewart

Title: Nirvana

Author: J.R. Stewart

Series: Nirvana #1

Age: Young Adult

Genres: Dystopian, Sci-Fi

Publication Date: November 10, 2015

Publisher: Blue Moon

Source: NetGalley

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | KoboiBooks 

Synopsis: 
When the real world is emptied of all that you love, how can you keep yourself from dependence on the virtual?

Larissa Kenders lives in a world where the real and the virtual intermingle daily. After the supposed death of her soulmate, Andrew, Larissa is able to find solace by escaping to Nirvana, a virtual world where anything is possible – even visits with Andrew. Although Larissa is told that these meetings are not real, she cannot shake her suspicion that Andrew is indeed alive. When she begins an investigation of Hexagon, the very institution that she has been taught to trust, Larissa uncovers much more than she ever expected and places herself in serious danger. Her biggest challenge, however, remains determining what is real – and what is virtual.

Nirvana is the first installment in the three-part “Nirvana” series, a fast-paced, page-turning young adult trilogy that combines elements of the romance, mystery, and science fiction genres. This first novel introduces readers to a heroine who refuses to give up on the man she loves, even if it means taking on an entire government to do so.

My Rating: 

My Thoughts:
This was a total shocker for me. I went into this book with low expectations and not much interest. The book is definitely slow paced which I'm not a fan of it, but I did enjoy the characters, world-building and all the secrets within the story.

Larissa is an amazing character. She is bold, outgoing, musically inclined and doesn't take crap from anyone. I love how she sought out answers for herself and tried to fight for her man. I loved it. Andrew was phenomenal. An intelligent man fighting for the world to be a better place. He was amazing in every way.

Serge was a surprise for me. I thought he was on Hexagon's side, but when real danger came forth he stood up with and for Larissa. His love for her made him see the light. Corporal pissed me off at first, but as the story went on he also protected Larissa. Just amazing.

Tremaine is a very sad man. I didn't like him at all. He was money hungry and a straight perv. Paloma is the most disgusting person in this story. She is pure evil, no heart. She has fun killing others and taking power where she can. Hexagon alone is seriously crazy in trying to control people with Nirvana.

Nirvana is absolutely beautiful. I'm glad that even though it was a virtual world it felt real to everyone. I love how it was there to help everyone. The Bubble was cool too. That ending killed me. It ended the same way it started with Andrew just up and disappearing and it made me so mad, yet intrigued to find out what more he could possibly be hiding. I'm definitely going to continue on in the series.

Have you read this book?