Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Darkest Minds The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I know a ton of people enjoy this book and the trilogy, but I just couldn't see this as a 4 or 5 star rating. I tried to love it and even like it, but it was just okay.

The writing was pretty awesome in this story. It flowed seamlessly. There were parts that I felt dragged on with too much detail and parts that I felt should have been developed much more. The characters were all pretty awesome and well developed. I loved Ruby, Liam, Chub and Clancy. I also loved Zu, but I have been trying to figure out why she couldn't -- or rather didn't want to talk. I wish that was explained in this story.

The whole dystopian world was pretty cool. I hated that kids got sick and died off, but I thought it was cool that the ones that lived all had powers. I don't get how that started out of the blue. I hope that gets explained in the other books. All the kids being separated by Yellow, Red, Blue and Green was awesome, but I thought something was strange when they had Orange ones seeing as it's not a primary color -- yeah I did think a bit too hard on that one lol.

Ruby was a phenomenal character for me. I loved seeing her grow and how she dealt with the life she was given. Her power definitely intrigues me a lot so I'm excited to see how she hones in it on it. I hope she gets away from the League as well. Hopefully she can go home some day.

Liam is just awesome. He was sweet, funny and caring. He was the kind of kid to put the world on his shoulders and dance with a smile no matter what. I loved that he fell for Ruby and tried to keep her from pushing away. Liam was awesome but I want to know more about his powers especially since the League wanted to use him as a weapon.

Clancy was freaking insane! OMG I knew something creepy was up with him when he finally met Ruby, but just the way he ran East River was too similar to the camps and all the info he had on the PSF's and the League were just too detailed. He is seriously one sick kid. I hated him, but I loved how well he played it.

The League, PSF's and the president are all crazy. These people should be finding ways to help the surviving kids instead of locking them away or turning them into soldiers. It's just insane how everything went.

That ending bought tears to my eyes. Why did she do that to Liam? Why is Cate so hooked on having Ruby? Why is Martin so twisted? Will Liam come back? Did Chub survive? Is Zu okay? Just so many questions. I will continue on the with trilogy even though this wasn't as great as I had hoped.

View all my reviews