Book Review | The Shattered Seam by Kathleen Groger

Title: The Shattered Seam

Author: Kathleen Groger

Series: Seam Stalkers #1

Age: Young Adult

Genres: Paranormal, Horror

Publication Date: September 13, 2016

Publisher: Leaf & Thorn Press, LLC

Source: Review copy

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Play Store | iBooks 

Synopsis: 
Spending spring break on an isolated island rumored to be haunted is not sixteen-year-old Sam’s idea of fun. Spending spring break with her uncle and his ghost-hunting film crew on an isolated island is even worse.

Way worse.

Her family’s secrets—and a genetic ability she can no longer deny—surface, along with the ghost of a rich serial killer who left behind a trail of trapped souls.

And he’s not through yet.

With only one chance for escape, Sam must embrace her family’s curse and close the Seam between the living and the dead. Or be lost, forever. 

My Rating: 

My Thoughts
Oh my this was beautiful. I normally don't like to compare books and authors, but if you're a fan of The Diviners by Libba Bray than this is a must read! I was blown away by the characters and paranormal aspects. Definitely has a horror kind of feel which did freak me out every few pages, but it was so amazing that I couldn't stop reading.

Samantha (aka Sam) is sixteen years old and for her spring break she is staying on an island in a haunted castle with her Uncle and his crew. Sam has had hallucinations for a while and felt that going to the island wouldn't be good. Little did she know that she wasn't hallucinating, but rather that she was a medium. Sam was an awesome character. She played her age very well -- a scared and shocked non-believing teenager. She didn't believe in ghost and spirits, but as things started to happen on the island she began to open her eyes to everything. Sam is strong and smart. She may have started off weak, but she grew stronger when faced with danger. Loved her.

Marisol, the medium hired to go along, was powerful, but I couldn't help the fact that I felt like she was hiding too many secrets. Everything that happened between her, Brett, Daniel and Randall was heartwrenching. None of them deserved their fates. Eric is an awesome uncle. I feared for him, but thankfully he survived in the end. Learning that he too has some powers makes me excited. I hope he pops up in the sequel.

Kyle is sort of the love interest in this story. I thought he was an absolutely awesome guy. He was very helpful to Sam and just the whole flirting thing was cute. It wasn't until the end of the story that I was blown away by his character. Such amazing writing into his character. Same goes for Amelia. She was a sweet girl that definitely saved Sam's life with that picture she gave.

Stephen Novak is an insane man. I can't believe how many women he killed and how he only killed certain women with a certain resemblance to one he hated. He was sick. I did feel bad for him though because his reasoning, even though not told in depth, seemed extremely sad. I hope he is done for and doesn't come back in the sequel.

Overall, this was freaking amazing and I'm excited to read the sequel Silencing The Seam, and see what happens next for Sam and the paranormal. Kathleen Groger is phenomenal in her writing!

Have you read this book?